We continued our traversal of Geographe Bay to our destination, Cape Naturaliste lighthouse.
The tower was constructed in 1903 from local limestone and was activated the following year.
Unfortunately, we weren’t able to tour the lighthouse which is now fully automated, being the last lighthouse in Western Australia to lose its keeper in 1996.
At the northernmost point in the Margaret River Region, positioned on a 100m high bluff, the views were spectacular.
Stormclouds were gathering out to sea.
It is little wonder the French navigator, Nicolas Baudin, named Geographe Bay after his flagship and the cape after his second ship, Naturaliste.
The traditional owners of the land, the Wardandi, call it Kwirreejeenungup:
“the place with the beautiful view”.
love this place 🙂
It really is beautiful and so peaceful.