When we created our veggie patch, we used reclaimed hardwood roof trusses to make the raised beds, thinking they would outlast our time here. Eleven years of Tasmanian weather proved us wrong and the timber was starting to rot, the screws were no longer holding and the boxes developed all sorts of twists and turns.
After weeks of mulling over possible solutions, we came up with the idea of reinforcing each box using metal sheeting on the inside. Our local Colorbond supplier was very helpful. We gave them the measurements of each piece required and they cut them from ends of rolls that would otherwise have been discarded (at a reasonable price). After digging away the soil at the edges,
the strips of steel were screwed to the timber with pond liner at the corners to avoid water seepage.
We were happy with the tidy result.
The rhubarb box was a bit of a challenge, just as well it needed thinning out.
We had a truck load of loam/ compost mix delivered and topped up all the beds
just in time for spring planting.
The fruit salad tree box had to be completely demolished and rebuilt (I was too distracted to take photos of the process).
Our unpredictable spring weather meant I was constantly chasing sunlight and warmth for the seedlings
but I finally had success and planted out in summer.
I threw some marigold seeds in for the first time, they supposedly deter pests as well as looking pretty.
By the end of January, there was no stopping the flow of produce.
Thankfully, we found some willing recipients for the monster zucchini.