Returning from our day out in Bath we discovered the lovely town of Bradford-on-Avon. With Roman origins, it grew in the 17th century with a thriving woollen textile industry. We parked the car and walked to the river.
The Town Bridge was built in Norman times. The small building in the middle of the bridge was originally a chapel but later used as a town lockup. The unusual weather vane has a fish on top.
Many of the old textile factories have been converted into modern flats and apartments.
Holy Trinity Church is the original parish church and is Norman in origin. The tower and spire was replaced around 1480.
We wandered through the town with its quaint shops and buildings.
The Swan Hotel is one of the few buildings that are still used as they were originally intended. There has been a public house on the same site since the 1500s, though the current building is 17th century.
We would like to have had more time to sample the local ale but more adventures awaited.